Greetings!

Thank you very much for visiting our Food and Culture Recipes Blog!

This blog was created and edited by Mark Gibbon and Mohammed Raza for our 2010 World Views course at Vanier College; located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada; and instructed by Maro Adjemian. All of the recipes and stories included in this blog are products of the students from that class. The recipes are listed alphabetically by country of origin. Please feel free to borrow, broil, brown, bake and share these recipes with your friends and family. And don’t forget to come back and leave a comment telling us how it worked out for you!

Cheers!

-The Editors

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Philippines: Cassava Cake

Ashley Marie Arbis

Cassava Cake: Philippines


The Filipino cassava cake is a must-have at any Filipino party. It is eaten during special occasions. Whether we are celebrating our birthdays or New Year's Eve, the cassava cake is as present as my family relatives. I've never had a sweet-tooth for desserts but since I've tasted this dessert, I indulge myself every time I get the chance. The cassava cake's recipe varies from family to family but I'm convinced that my mother's recipe is the best one I've ever tasted. The dessert itself is heavenly sweet and high in calories which is probably why it is only eaten occasionally. The heaviness of this dessert comes from the cassava, a few cans of milk and half a cup of brown sugar. I love every ingredient from this dessert and whenever I get the chance, I enjoy watching my mom make this from her own hands, just as her mother concocted delicious and simple meals with a few ingredients. Although the majority of the ingredients of this recipe aren't necessarily Filipino, the cassava is used a lot in the Philippines. From the tapioca balls on the bottom of your bubble tea drink to other Filipino desserts such as bibingka cassava, the cassava is a known all throughout the Philippines. However famous it is in the Philippines, the cassava isn't only used in in the Philippines. It is a widely produced food around the globe. The cassava is an an shrubby tropical plant. The root of the cassava is edible when cooked. The cassava root is rough in texture and dark brown on the outside. Almost all of the ingredients used in this recipe can be found in Filipino or Chinese markets. The first time I tasted this dessert was when I moved back to Canada when I was five years old. Growing up in the Philippines has taught me to be grateful for every meal I get to eat. My grandmother and my aunt have a huge impact on the way I see Filipino food. I'm always proud to share my culture with people because they get the see the importance of family in the Filipino community. Our traditions and culture will always live on to remind us of where we came from.

THE RECIPE

·         Ingredients
  • 3 pack of frozen grated cassava (454 g)
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 1 can coconut milk (400 ml)
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar

·         Procedure
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
  2. Defrost the grated cassava.
  3. In a big bowl, combine all ingredients thoroughly, then save 1/3 of the can of condensed milk. Pour the mixture in a foil-lined 8" layer pan.
  4. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the mixture is almost firm.
  5. Pour the rest of condensed milk on the firm cassava.
  6. Set the oven to broil. Brown top for 8 to 10 minutes, about 4" from the heat. Watch it carefully.

Source: Ashley Arbis

No comments:

Post a Comment