Greetings!

Thank you very much for visiting our Food and Culture Recipes Blog!

This blog was created and edited by Mark Gibbon and Mohammed Raza for our 2010 World Views course at Vanier College; located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada; and instructed by Maro Adjemian. All of the recipes and stories included in this blog are products of the students from that class. The recipes are listed alphabetically by country of origin. Please feel free to borrow, broil, brown, bake and share these recipes with your friends and family. And don’t forget to come back and leave a comment telling us how it worked out for you!

Cheers!

-The Editors

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Philippines: Filipino BBQ Pork Skewers

Karstein Florendo

Filipino BBQ Pork Skewers: Philippines
 It is very common in Western civilization that the public often labels Filipino food to be somewhat odd and obscure due to various mixes of Western and Eastern cuisine, which in all makes it unique in the way they prepare it. With many years of Chinese, Spanish and Malay influence, the blend of all these cultures are important because it creates a source of culture, art and existence between communities in the Philippines. There are many wonderful foods in my culture. As child, I would always go to Filipino parties and eat some amazing foods from my culture. In these parties there would always be one of my favourite dishes, Filipino Barbecue Pork. I remember that when I was young the first thing I would go for at a party was the barbecue. If you don’t get any barbecue at the beginning of the party, you might not end up having any for whole party because everyone would go for it. One of the main reasons why I find this recipe important is because of the fact that when my family has a special event, like a birthday, we normally always make this dish. So basically, I grew up eating this dish and I can’t get enough of it. Every Filipino loves to barbecue and all Filipinos have their own recipes to making their dishes. There is not one Filipino that I know that doesn’t enjoy a nice dish of Filipino style barbecue. My family has different ways of making barbecue but there is one in particular that is my favourite which I am about to show you. I learned how to make this dish when I was pretty young. It’s very easy, simple and it’s delicious. I also decided to share this recipe with the class because my family and I really enjoy this dish and hopefully you will too.

THE RECIPE

·         Ingredients
§ 1 kg of Pork
§ 1 Chopped Garlic

§ 1 Cup of Soy Sauce

§ 1/3 Cup of Brown Sugar

§ 1-2 tsp of Black Pepper

§ 1-2 tsp of Salt

  • 1 Lemon

  • 1/3 Cup of Ketchup

·         Procedure
1. Cut the pork meat into 3cm cubes.
2. In a mixing bowl, properly mix the pork meat with the chopped garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, black pepper, salt, lemon and ketchup.
3. Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for about 1-2 hours.
4. Once the marinating is done, we can start putting the marinated pork meat in bamboo skewers. (7-8 pieces per skewer)
5. Don’t throw away the left over marinate. We can use it while we cook the meat with a barbecue brush.
6. After that’s done, we can start barbecuing the meat.
7. On a charcoal barbecue, barbecue the pork until each skewer is properly cooked. Make sure that while you turn the barbecue, you use the leftover marinate to add even more flavour to your barbecue and to make sure that the meat doesn’t dry out.
8. Once done cooking, place on a plate and enjoy.

Source
http://www.meatwave.com/blog/a-trip-back-to-the-islands

No comments:

Post a Comment